Welcome to Chilworth Benedictine Monastery
St Augustine's Abbey, Chilworth (formerly St Augustine's Abbey, Ramsgate, 1856 - 2011) is one of four Benedictine monasteries in Great Britain forming the English Province of the international Benedictine Subiaco-Cassinese Congregation. The Abbey was founded as a result of the invitation made by Bishop Thomas Grant, the first Bishop of Southwark, to the Italian abbot Dom Pietro Casaretto, to send monks from St Benedict's own monastery at Subiaco to undertake a mission at Ramsgate. By 1856 arrangements between Bishop Grant and Abbot Casaretto were concluded and the first monk, Dom Wilfrid Alcock, arrived to take charge at the Ramsgate mission which had been made possible thanks to the building of a Gothic church by the famous Gothic Revivalist architect Augustus Welby Pugin, which was donated to the Diocese of Southwark before his premature death in 1852. The Community relocated to Chilworth near Guildford in Surrey, in November 2011, and now lives and prays in what was a Franciscan Friary of the Order of Friars Minor (OFMs).