Chapter Room Church St. Augustines Abbey Order of St Benedict

St Augustine's Abbey, Ramsgate is one of four Benedictine monasteries in Great Britain forming the English Province of the international Benedictine Congregation of Subiaco. The Abbey was founded as a result of the invitation made by Bishop Thomas Grant, the first Bishop of Southwark, to the Italian abbot Dom Pietro Casaretto, to send monks from St Benedict's own monastery at Subiaco to undertake a mission at Ramsgate. By 1856 arrangements between Bishop Grant and Abbot Casaretto were concluded and the first monk, Dom Wilfrid Alcock, arrived to take charge at the Ramsgate mission which had been made possible thanks to the building of a Gothic church by the famous Gothic Revivalist architect Augustus Welby Pugin, which was donated to the Diocese of Southwark before his premature death in 1852.

Front of Monastery

Bee-keeping Stained glass window
Introduction
Monastry History
Monastic life
Vocations
Order of St. Benedict
Rule of St. Benedict
Monastery News
Shop
Monastery Tours
Guests and Retreats
Contact Ramsgate Benedictines

 

Introduction | History | Monastic Life | Vocations | The Order of St. Benedict
The Rule of St. Benedict | News | Shop | Tours | Guests & Retreats | Contact Us

Website design by Artwyse